Most of us love that healthy, sun-kissed glow that comes with summer. The question is, how do you get that glow while avoiding some of the risks of skin cancer? As a teenager I used to go to the tanning salon quite a bit (cringe) to maintain my tan. Now, we are bombarded with commercials, articles and other media that preach the dangers of excessive sun exposure. So how do we find a healthy balance? How do we get that glow without putting ourselves at risk? Here are a few tips to help you get that healthy sun-kissed look….
Repair The Damage
- If you have been guilty of hitting the tanning salon, stop ASAP.
- Repair your skin with natural treatments containing vitamin A and vitamin E to help regenerate skin.
- Regularly exfoliate your skin to remove damaged cells.
Manage Your Unprotected Sun Exposure
- You can spend 20 minutes a day in the sun, unprotected and without sunscreen. This will help you get some vitamin D naturally rather than having to supplement. After 20 minutes, apply sunscreen to be sure you are protected.
- Be sure to reapply after swimming and/or excessive sweating.
- Take breaks in the shade. Don’t bake yourself on the beach for hours straight. Stay active, enjoy the outdoors, but be sure to give your skin a break from the sun every hour our two.
Choose Natural Sunscreens and/or Protective Clothing
- Opt for sunscreens that have natural ingredients to avoid lathering yourself in dangerous chemicals.
- Mineral based sunscreens that contain zinc oxide or titanium oxide are the best options.
- Some of my favorite brands include: Babyganics, Badger and ThinkSport or ThinkBaby.
- Opt for long sleeve beachwear that contains SPF. This will help you protect yourself without having to bother with applying sunscreen in those areas.
Organic Self Tanners
- Organic self tanners are a great alternative to give you that glow without needing any sun exposure at all.
- Be sure to wash hands thoroughly after applying to avoid getting “orange” hands.
- Be sure to exfoliate before applying self tanner.
- Choose a daily face lotion that contains SPF30 as well as natural tint to give you a bit of a glow.
DISCLAIMER: The information contained on this site is not provided by medical professionals and is provided for informational purposes only. The information on this site is not meant to substitute consulting with your podiatrist, doctor or other health care professional. The information available on or through this site is in no way intended to diagnose, influence treatment or cure any foot or other health problems nor is it a substitute for the services or advice of a podiatrist, physician, or health professional. You should always consult a physician licensed in your state in all matters relating to your health.