Did you know July is US National Watermelon month? Not only does watermelon season peak this month, but watermelon is also practically the official fruit of summer BBQs nationwide, making it the most highly consumed melon in the US.
I put together a quick list of some of the interesting facts about watermelon that you may not know.
1. Watermelon is actually a cousin of the cucumber, making it a vegetable and a fruit. Crazy, huh?
2. Watermelons contain more lycopene than tomatoes. While most people tout the tomato as the ultimate source of this powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory substance, watermelon is actually even higher!
3. Given its name, this may not be a shock, but watermelons are composed of mostly water. It’s a great way to stay hydrated on a hot summer day!
4. Watermelon seeds and rinds are edible – and actually good for you! You can grind up the rind in a blender and drink it. It’s actually a great source of chlorophyll.
5. Watermelon is high in fiber. The high fiber content combined with high water content is great for healthy digestion.
6. This yummy summer treat is high in potassium, which can help manage blood pressure.
With all these great health benefits and its delicious taste, it’s no wonder watermelon is so popular! It’s certainly a summer staple in my home.
Here’s a simple, refreshing summer watermelon smoothie cooler recipe from www.healthfulpursuit.com that you can enjoy this summer!
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 5 frozen strawberries
- ½ cup coconut water
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.