This pie is tasty, easy to make AND a much healthier alternative to most other pie recipes. This is a great option for dessert this upcoming Easter. Enjoy!
- 2 cups almond flour;
- ½ tsp salt;
- 2 tbsp coconut oil;
- 1 egg;
Filling and topping ingredients
- ½ cup coconut milk (or cream if you allow it in your diet);
- 8 oz chocolate (70% cocoa);
- 18 oz frozen cranberries;
- Preheat your oven to 375 F.
- Like most pies, you’ll start by preparing the crust first. This one is nice and easy, all you have to do is throw all the ingredients into a large bowl and mix them well in either a blender, or by using a hand-mixer. A crumbly dough will form.
- Transfer the dough into a lightly greased 9” pie baking dish. Using your fingers, press the dough firmly into the dish and make an inner shell with it so that the dish is evenly covered. I made a simple trim on my crust, just a little detail, but this is not necessary.
- Place the crust in the oven and cook for about 15 minutes, just until it begins to turn golden brown around the edges and is flaky to the touch.
- While your crust is baking, begin working on preparing the filling. In a small sauce pan over a medium-high heat, bring the coconut milk to a simmer. Once it has started to simmer, immediately remove it from the heat and begin stirring in the chocolate. Continue stirring until the chocolate is completely melted.
- Once the crust has finished baking, remove it from the oven and allow it to cool completely.
- Pour the chocolatey filling into the pie shell and then place the whole pie dish into the fridge for anywhere from 2 hours to 1 day. Essentially, you want the filling to become more solid to the touch.
With the oven at 375 F again, take out the frozen cranberries, spread them out on a baking sheet and bake them for about 8 to 10 minutes, tossing them around once or twice to avoid them from sticking. Once they have blistered and are soft, remove them from the oven and transfer them to the fridge. They will need at least an hour in the refrigerator, this will keep them from getting mushy. After the pie and the cranberries have been in the fridge long enough, spoon the berries on top of the pie and its ready to be served.