NYE is almost here! I was searching for a healthy finger food to bring along to a party this year and came across this delicious recipe on paleomg.com. I can’t wait to make it and share with my friends!
- 2 zucchinis, ends removed, sliced ¼ inch thick lengthwise
- 4 italian sausages (I used Boulder Sausage brand)
- ½ cup walnuts
- 1 cup fresh basil
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 garlic clove
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of garlic powder
- 3 extra tablespoons olive oil to cook your zucchini with
- Heat up your grill.
- Slice your zucchini with a knife or using a mandoline.
- Place your zucchini in a bowl with 3 tablespoons of olive oil, salt and pepper, and a pinch of garlic powder then use your hands to mix it and coat the zucchini.
- Place your italian sausages on the grill along with your zucchini.
- While the zucchini and sausages are cooking, make your pesto.
- Add your walnuts, garlic clove, and basil to the food processor and turn on. Then begin to add your olive oil while the food processor is still running.
- Then add your lemon juice and salt and pepper. Taste to see if you need more basil or lemon or salt and pepper. I think more lemon juice goes a long way.
- After your zucchini have cooked for about 4-5 minutes and have begun to show grill marks, flip them. Be sure to keep an eye on them because they will burn rather quickly.
- Once your zucchini are cooked through and sausage are completely cooked through, remove them to let cool.
- When your zucchini are cool to the touch, use a spoon to spread the pesto down the center of the zucchini strip and cut off an inch or so piece of sausage.
- Place the sausage in the middle of the zucchini so the cut sides are facing towards the outer ridges of the zucchini. You’ll figure it out.
- Wrap the zucchini around the sausage and use a toothpick to hold it in place.
- Serve to others or eat by yourself while watching the food network.
Makes 11-12 rolls