I love looking good. Who doesn’t? We all loving stepping out of the salon or barber shop with our perfectly fresh haircut, our hair styled just the way we like it. Do you know the hidden dangers in that seemingly harmless hairspray can that your stylist is so casually spraying all over your hair and face, as you breathe in the toxic fumes?
Hair sprays can contain nasty chemical products such as like parabens, phthalates, DEA, petrolatum, sulfates, propylene glycol (aka anti-freeze), phenol, fragrance, formaldehyde and heavy metals. If you want to check the safety of your products, you can do so at www.ewg.org by using their skin deep database.
I found a great homemade hair spray recipe on www.wellnessmama.com. It’s a better alternative to the store bought brands that are chock full of chemicals, and hey, it will certainly save you some money in the process. I am posting the recipe below. Enjoy!
- 1.5 cups filtered water (boil if you can’t filter)
- 2 Tablespoons white sugar (darker ones don’t really work here)
- 1 tablespoon of high proof alcohol like vodka (I actually like spiced rum for the scent)
- 10-15 drops of essential oil of choice (I like lavender)
- Boil water and dissolve sugar in it.
- Allow to cool to room temp and add alcohol and essential oils.
- Store in spray bottle and use as regular hair spray.