Flip flops are so cute, fun and easy to throw one when you’re heading out the door. Unfortunately, most are SO bad for your feet and knees! Lack of cushioning in flip-flops can actually lead to stress fractures over time. The foot needs some support to cushion the bones under the weight of your body as it is in motion. Typical flip-flops don’t offer any cushioning or arch support. The lack of support in a standard flip-flop also changes your entire gait (the way you walk). This affects your posture as well and can also cause pain in your ankles, knees, hips and back.
I’m REALLY excited I found a solution to my flip-flop loving dilemma. I never buy them because I just know how bad they are for me, but now I can have the ease of flip flops AND be properly supported.
Lynco Flips offer a unique healthy experience in a staple summer style. With advanced footwear technology including built-in orthotics & soft UltraSKY™ injected EVA foam, these exclusive flip flops provide extreme comfort, durability, & foot support. The meticulous design includes an extra soft toe post & metatarsal cushion to distribute pressure more evenly across the foot. They are so comfy – it seriously feels like you are walking on air!
As you can see in the image above, Lynco Flips help to properly position the foot and ankle to align the body and prevent over pronation. In comparison, the leather and rubber flip flops offer little to no support, allowing the ankle to roll inward, causing misalignment.
To learn more about Lynco Flips or purchase them, click here.
This is a perfect side dish for a summer BBQ or picnic. It’s light, refreshing and tasty. The flavor combinations are simple but out of this world!
- 1 7-8 lb. seedless watermelon, chilled
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 limes, juiced
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup fresh chopped mint leaves
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled feta cheese (goat or sheep milk feta is best)
Note: This salad is best made just prior to serving. Prepare one hour or less before your meal.
- Cut rind from the watermelon, then chop the fruit into 1 inch chunks. Place chunks in a colander to drain as your chop.
- In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, fresh lime juice, salt, and black pepper to create a dressing.
- Place watermelon in a large salad bowl. Pour dressing and chopped mint over the watermelon and toss gently to coat.
- Pour the crumbled feta into the salad bowl and stir gently to integrate the cheese into the salad. Serve.
The salt and the citrus in the dressing will activate the juices in the watermelon, so a lot of liquid will collect in the bottom of the salad bowl. This is normal, and does not affect the flavor. To avoid having liquid transfer to your plate, serve the salad with a slotted spoon.
Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint
Sandal season is upon us and if you are anything like the rest of us, your feet could use a little sprucing up. I always like for my feet to look fresh and healthy when I’m sporting my sandals, so I like to take some time to prep them for spring. Here are a few easy steps you can take to get your feet looking amazing for sandal season!
- Brighten/Whiten your toenails: Lemon juice is a great natural way to whiten and brighten your toenails. Before sandal season begins I always like to take a week with no nail polish on my toes to let them “breathe.” Then I buff them to remove the outermost layer of the nail and apply some lemon juice to whiten the nails.
- Deep clean/soak your feet: Soaking your feet in a basin of warm water with tea tree oil will help to kill any bacteria or fungi that may be present on your feet. Be sure to clean all the spaces on your feet with a washcloth, including the areas in between your toes.
- Exfoliate: Using a bristle brush, exfoliate your feet and ankles. Start at the ankle area and brush in a circular motion to the tips of your toes, working your way around the top and the bottom of the feet.
- Moisturize: Using a thick, creamy lotion or mask, coat the feet and let the moisturizer sit for 10-15 minutes before wiping off with a warm washcloth.
- Trim your toenails: While toenails are damp, clip them straight across. Be careful not to cut at an angle going into the corners, as this can encourage ingrown toenails.
- Buff: Buff your nails with a buffer to remove the rough, top layer of your toenails and create a nice smooth surface for your nail polish.
- Paint: After prepping your toes and feet, it’s finally time to paint your toenails! Be sure to use a polish that is free of toxins to prevent your nails from yellowing and to avoid any unnecessary toxins.
- Rock your sandals with pride!
DISCLAIMER: The information contained on this site is not provided by medical professionals and is provided for informational purposes only. The information on this site is not meant to substitute consulting with your podiatrist, doctor or other health care professional. The information available on or through this site is in no way intended to diagnose, influence treatment or cure any foot or other health problems nor is it a substitute for the services or advice of a podiatrist, physician, or health professional. You should always consult a physician licensed in your state in all matters relating to your health.
Did you know July is US National Watermelon month? Not only does watermelon season peak this month, but watermelon is also practically the official fruit of summer BBQs nationwide, making it the most highly consumed melon in the US.
I put together a quick list of some of the interesting facts about watermelon that you may not know.
1. Watermelon is actually a cousin of the cucumber, making it a vegetable and a fruit. Crazy, huh?
2. Watermelons contain more lycopene than tomatoes. While most people tout the tomato as the ultimate source of this powerful anti-oxidant and anti-inflammatory substance, watermelon is actually even higher!
3. Given its name, this may not be a shock, but watermelons are composed of mostly water. It’s a great way to stay hydrated on a hot summer day!
4. Watermelon seeds and rinds are edible – and actually good for you! You can grind up the rind in a blender and drink it. It’s actually a great source of chlorophyll.
5. Watermelon is high in fiber. The high fiber content combined with high water content is great for healthy digestion.
6. This yummy summer treat is high in potassium, which can help manage blood pressure.
With all these great health benefits and its delicious taste, it’s no wonder watermelon is so popular! It’s certainly a summer staple in my home.
Here’s a simple, refreshing summer watermelon smoothie cooler recipe from www.healthfulpursuit.com that you can enjoy this summer!
- 2 cups cubed watermelon
- 5 frozen strawberries
- ½ cup coconut water
- Add all ingredients to your blender and blend until smooth.
The birds are singing. Flowers are popping up all over. The weather’s getting warmer. All signs that Spring is finally here….and the inevitable dreaded bathing suit season. Have no fear! This year, I will help you prepare so you’re ready to jump into this year’s hottest suit, instead of wrapping yourself like a mummy in last year’s frumpy cotton cover-up. Check out these tips:
1. Find Your Mo-Jo. Everyone is motivated by someone or something. Is it your spouse? The chick at the deli counter with slender thighs? Or maybe it’s the cute dress that would be perfect for the July 4th bash? It doesn’t matter what it is, it just matters that you have the motivation to change. Cut out pictures and hang them on your walls, mirrors, fridge or anywhere else that will remind you daily of why you’re working so hard to be your best self!
2. Make a Plan. You need to have a clear path of how you’re going to accomplish your goals. Be as specific as possible. “I want to lose six lbs. in one month. I will do this by…(enter your plan here, .e.g., Running three miles a day, cutting out ice cream or ditching alcohol). Studies show the more specific your plan is, the more successful you will be!
3. Make It A Habit. Review your goals and plan every morning. This will help keep you on track and focused.
4. Get Accountable. When you have to answer to someone or something, your head and body will make sure that you stick to your goals! Digital food tracking apps, including My Fitness Pal and Lose It, can help you keep your diet on track. For fitness, try Couch-To-5K, Daily Burn or 7-Minute Workout Challenge. As an added accountability bonus, enlist a friend to join you!
5. Rest. Studies show that sleeping more than seven hours a night has the biggest impact on weight loss. When you’re sleep deprived, cortisol levels rise causing you to be hungry, less motivated to work out and gain weight in your mid-section. So, do your exercise, keep your plan in motion…then get to sleep!
After a long, seemingly endless winter, the warmer weather is finally upon us in the East coast. I took my daughters to the park for a few hours and found myself realizing I better remember to start packing the sunscreen in my bag! We all know sunscreen is important because it protects us from dangerous UV rays that can cause issues like skin cancer, age spots and more. However, I find that most people are unaware of the dangers lurking in typical mainstream sunscreen brands.
Sunscreen can either be mineral based or chemical based. Knowing that what we apply to our skin is immediately absorbed into our bloodstream in under a minute, I choose to use mineral based, more natural sunscreen products which use zinc oxide and/or titanium dioxide. Most of the brand names on the market are chemically based and include a combination of two to six of these active ingredients: oxybenzone, avobenzone, octisalate, octocrylene, homosalate and octinoxate.
If you want to check the safety of your sunscreen, www.ewg.org is a great resource. You can search by brand and the website will tell you how toxic your product rates on a scale, as well as indicate what some of the potential side effects of the ingredients are. Some of my favorite brands include Badger, Poofy Organics, Babyganics and ThinkBaby/ThinkSport.
So before you slather your loved ones up with sunscreen this summer, be sure to check the safety of your products. You can get great protection for your skin without the nasty toxic chemicals!