The birds are singing. Flowers are popping up all over. The weather’s getting warmer. All signs that Spring is finally here….and the inevitable dreaded bathing suit season. Have no fear! This year, I will help you prepare so you’re ready to jump into this year’s hottest suit, instead of wrapping yourself like a mummy in last year’s frumpy cotton cover-up. Check out these tips:
1. Find Your Mo-Jo. Everyone is motivated by someone or something. Is it your spouse? The chick at the deli counter with slender thighs? Or maybe it’s the cute dress that would be perfect for the July 4th bash? It doesn’t matter what it is, it just matters that you have the motivation to change. Cut out pictures and hang them on your walls, mirrors, fridge or anywhere else that will remind you daily of why you’re working so hard to be your best self!
2. Make a Plan. You need to have a clear path of how you’re going to accomplish your goals. Be as specific as possible. “I want to lose six lbs. in one month. I will do this by…(enter your plan here, .e.g., Running three miles a day, cutting out ice cream or ditching alcohol). Studies show the more specific your plan is, the more successful you will be!
3. Make It A Habit. Review your goals and plan every morning. This will help keep you on track and focused.
4. Get Accountable. When you have to answer to someone or something, your head and body will make sure that you stick to your goals! Digital food tracking apps, including My Fitness Pal and Lose It, can help you keep your diet on track. For fitness, try Couch-To-5K, Daily Burn or 7-Minute Workout Challenge. As an added accountability bonus, enlist a friend to join you!
5. Rest. Studies show that sleeping more than seven hours a night has the biggest impact on weight loss. When you’re sleep deprived, cortisol levels rise causing you to be hungry, less motivated to work out and gain weight in your mid-section. So, do your exercise, keep your plan in motion…then get to sleep!