As the weather starts to cool down, many of us go into “hibernation” mode and start seeking out extra snacks throughout the day. It’s easier to sit inside and curl up with a snack than it is the brave the cold outside. I put together a list of some healthier snack alternatives that will help you stay on track this fall. Enjoy!
· frozen grapes
· rice cakes
· light popcorn or plain popcorn: use coconut oil to pop in a covered pan
· one or two hard pretzels, the large Bavarian variety
· carrots: particularly the super-sweet, organic baby carrots
· crunchy crudités of veggies and dip (hummus, tabouli, vinaigrette, favorite dressing)
· celery and peanut butter (use non-hydrogenated peanut butter)
· hummus with whole grain toast, baby carrots, rice crackers
· fresh, whole fruit
· organic yogurt and ripe fruit
· apples and almond butter
· sprouted date bread with jam
· frozen yogurt: freeze yogurt and make your own!
· dried fruit
· use leftover grains to make sweet porridge: drizzle maple syrup and sprinkle cinnamon, add soymilk and bananas, heat with fruit juice, etc.
· smoothies: mix whatever you have in the kitchen – fruit, ice, soymilk, yogurt, carob powder, etc.
· fruit “ice cream”: peel a banana, freeze, blend in a food processor with nuts, berries or raisins and serve; can be put through the screen of a juicer for a creamier consistency.
· freshly squeezed fruit juices: Make your own and try different combos.
· sweet vegetables: yams, sweet potatoes, squashes (acorn, butternut, kabocha) cut into chunks or fries; sprinkle with cinnamon and bake.
· dates stuffed with almond butter or other nut butter
· organic dark chocolate chips or carob chips
· pickles and pickled vegetables, such as carrot, daikon, beets and lotus root
· tabouli, hummus
· oysters and sardines
· steamed vegetables with tamari/shoyu or umeboshi vinegar
· tortilla chips and salsa or guacamole: try whole grain chips such as “Garden of Eatin” brand and freshly made salsa or guacamole.
· sauerkraut: it will also knock your sweet craving right out!
· fresh lime or lemon juice as seasonings or in beverage
· salted edamame
· small amount of organic cheese
· rice pudding
· dips and spreads, like hummus and baba ghanoush
· puréed soups
· puddings made with silken tofu, avocado or mashed banana
· mashed sweet potatoes
· coconut milk