This is a keeper! Not only is it warm, comforting and delicious, but it’s also kid friendly! This is a perfect addition to my winter menu. A great balance of good nutrition, sweetness and easy prep.
- 6 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into chunks;
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped;
- ½ cup full-fat coconut milk;
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder;
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract;
- 1 tbsp cinnamon;
- 2 tbsp olive oil, butter or clarified butter;
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350F and then start by filling a large sauce pot with water and place all the chopped sweet potatoes in it. Place the saucepan over a high-heat on the stove-top and bring the water to a boil. Continue cooking the potatoes for anywhere from 15 to 20 minutes, basically until they are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and strain the excess water.
- Return the sweet potatoes to the pot they were cooked in and drizzle 1 tablespoon of olive oil, butter or clarified butter on top of them. Using a masher or hand-mixer, mash the potatoes until smooth. I tend to prefer the texture to be slightly clumpy, but to each their own! As you continue to mash, slowly pour the coconut milk in, followed by the vanilla extract. Once it has been mixed well, give it a taste to see if it requires any salt and pepper. I found it to be just perfect how it was, but a little salt cuts on some of the sweetness. Transfer the mashed mix into a baking dish, or better yet, a casserole dish and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, toss the walnuts in the remaining oil or butter. Sprinkle with the cinnamon and cocoa powder and then give it another good mixing. Evenly cover the mashed potato mixture with the topping, put in the preheated oven and cook for about 20 minutes and, once finished, indulge!