Using a microwave can be incredibly convenient, but the safety of this appliance is questionable. The decision to use a microwave or not is ultimately up to you. There is an argument that microwaves cause plastic containers and food wrappings to release toxic cancer-causing chemicals, also known as carcinogens.
Consider the following when choosing whether or not to use a microwave:
- It’s been proven that plastic releases endocrine disrupters when heated, possibly causing infertility, birth defects, and cancer. 3
- It may be especially dangerous to cook fatty foods at high temperatures in plastic. Chemicals from the plastic easily migrate to oily, receptive foods.
- Some believe that microwaves lead to nutritional deficiency, a wide spread condition in the Western world. The molecular friction that microwaves employ to heat food kills vitamins and phytonutrients. One particular study proved that cooking vegetables in the microwave destroys 97% of their nutrients.
- Eastern theory says that microwaving disrupts the natural harmony of water molecules in food, leading to a disordered molecular pattern and disturbed internal balance.
- If you do choose to use a microwave, consider heating food in glass or ceramic dishes with lids – just make sure they are labeled “microwave safe.”
The bottom line is that microwaves may contribute to the widespread epidemic of overfed, under-nourished people.
Microwaving may destroy nutritional content of food while maintaining calories, leading to rampant deficiencies in many macro and micro nutrients.2 Some believe that microwaves increase the risk of liver problems, depression, kidney failure, cancer, and heart disease. The double sword of toxic chemical release and nutrient deficiency caused by microwaves is unnerving. Weigh out your own personal pros and cons wisely.
Some quick alternatives to microwaving include using a toaster oven or heating food in a pan with a little olive oil and/or water to prevent sticking. Remember, eating nutritious food cooked in the microwave is better than not eating nutritious food at all!
DISCLAIMER: The information contained on this site is not provided by medical professionals and is provided for informational purposes only. The information on this site is not meant to substitute consulting with your podiatrist, doctor or other health care professional. The information available on or through this site is in no way intended to diagnose, influence treatment or cure any foot or other health problems nor is it a substitute for the services or advice of a podiatrist, physician, or health professional. You should always consult a physician licensed in your state in all matters relating to your health.
 “The Hidden Hazards of Microwave Cooking” from www.health-science.com by Anthony Wayne and Lawrence Newell.
2 “Microwave Ovens Destroy the Nutritional Value of Your Food” from www.naturalnews.com by Mike Adams. 2007
3 “Does Plastic in Microwave Pose Health Problems” from The Wall Street Journal. 1998
© Integrative Nutrition, Inc. | Reprinted with permission